1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 bell pepper
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
2/3 cup bread crumbs
Parsley, salt & pepper to taste
Feel free to experiment with adding whatever other veggies you have on hand as well! Zucchini and beets are two that I've been wanting to try.
This recipe is easiest if you have a food processor. If you don't, it's still super easy.
1. Mash the beans until they form a thick paste.
2. Chop the veggies as finely as possible and mix them with the beans.
3. In a separate bowl combine the spices and eggs and stir.
4. Stir the eggs and spices into the beans, adding bread crumbs until it all holds together well.
5. Cook your black bean burgers according to your method of choice! Bake them for about 10 minutes each side on a baking sheet or throw them on the grill.
These burgers go really well with chipotle mayo, avocado, red onion, lettuce and tomato. To make chipotle mayo, simply blend canned chipotle chiles, adding a bit of the juice, with mayonnaise until you achieve the desired spiciness.
They also go great with sweet potato fries.
Adapted from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-black-bean-veggie-burgers/